Monday, May 08, 2006

Travel time

My workplace is situated about 40 km from city. That means I spend more than 3 hours traveling everyday. That I am the first to get into the bus and last to get out doesn't exactly help either. Having put in my papers and being all set to scoot by mid June, I decided to calculate the total time that I have spent traveling under my current employer. So here goes - I would have worked for 472 days by mid June. This is after eliminating all weekends and holidays. I have assumed that any leave that I have taken to date would be more than compensated by the weekends and holidays during which I worked.
My daily travel time is slightly more than 3 hours. But then, it would be wrong to take all of it for the purpose of my calculation, given that I would have anyway spent some time traveling to my workplace. For the lack of a better alternative, here I take the traveling time under my previous employer - 80 min.
U don't have to be a math whizkid to arrive at the total incremental number of hours spent traveling - 826
In terms of 24 hour day - 34 days

In terms of 8 hour man day - 103 days ... phew
Moral of the story - Next time I choose a workplace ... maybe commuting time ought to be given due importance.

No comments: